CRL Change - ROTJ Scout Trooper T-Bits

BikerScout007

Hey Pathfinders and soon-to-bes!  

Today we removed the "T-bit circle detail piece faces forward on each arm" requirement from Level 2.  This was a requirement I was never a big fan of, as it seemed more based on wanting to tidy up the costume rather than any evidence from the film.  With the discovery by @RS Prop Masters of the original kit bashed source of the T-bit this year, as well as some sleuthing by @Chopper of screen caps, we have determined that it only makes sense that the circles on the T-bit only appear on the right hand side of the greeblie, no matter which bicep they are on.

(Tamiya 16039 Harley Davidson FXE1200 (Super Glide) 1/6 scale model kit)

Tamiya%2016039%20Harley%20Davidson%20FXE

(ROTJ Screen cap showing the left bicep armor.  The ridges are along the bottom, which means the circles -- which are hard to see here -- would be on the right hand side of the greeblie, not the left.  And yes, we checked to make sure the image wasn't flipped in editing)

DYDwSFO.jpg

Here's a few more.  They always weathered the circles, so you can see them by looking for the weathering:

Left%20bicep.jpg?dl=0

leftbicep2.jpg?dl=0

leftbicep3.JPG?dl=0

And from the "Was staring us in the face the whole time" file, here's the Blu Ray archive image.  You can see clearly that the circles are NOT on the left side of the left bicep armor:

Blu%20Ray%20belt.jpg

Now before anyone gets into a panic -- we are not requiring both circles on the right side for L2 YET.  We want to give the armor makers the time to get adjusted.  So don't expect to see this become part of the CRL for a few months.  If you have mirrored T-bits now and are getting ready to apply for Lancer, go right ahead!   You have a 6 month grace period from today.   

@MonCal  @StudioCreations @rottie @TD369 @sskunky @Chef

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Excellent news. Makes sense to me as well. I always assumed the prop makers wouldn't have spent time sourcing found parts just to make mirrored molds. Going to need to ask RS for another left T-bit (or print news ones!).

• Like 3

Just now, Harbinger said:

Excellent news. Makes sense to me as well. I always assumed the prop makers wouldn't have spent time sourcing found parts just to make mirrored molds. Going to need to ask RS for another left T-bit (or print news ones!).

Agreed!  

I believe @MrPoopie has modeled some for printing!

38 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

I believe @MrPoopie has modeled some for printing!

I have, and anyone who needs them for personal use please just PM me. Otherwise any makers can PM and we can work something out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I would pay for a set of accurate rubber ones. Resin is not built for long-term durability! (Ditto for my tank topper!)

So can I just ask if you're already cleared basic you would only need to change if you wanted to go for Lancer or will all cleared scouts need to change at some point in the next 6 months?

17 minutes ago, Philscratch said:

So can I just ask if you're already cleared basic you would only need to change if you wanted to go for Lancer or will all cleared scouts need to change at some point in the next 6 months?

If you've already cleared basic you're fine.  501st costumes are grandfathered in unless the costume is retired and a new approval is sought with it.  

If you apply for Lancer within the next 6 months, you will be fine.

And remember, even after we add the requirement, it will only apply to L2.  

• Thanks 1

Always amazing to see details on costumes that still comes to hand from a movie almost 40 years old. Great work.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Always amazing to see details on costumes that still comes to hand from a movie almost 40 years old. Great work.

Discovering the model kit this part came from was the real impetus here.   We have to thank @RS Prop Masters for that.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CatfoodRob said:

Congratulations all around . A great step forward   ,and such a simple modification for any scout to carry out . 

Oh we're not done yet!  We get a bigger one coming up.  Hold onto your butts!

• Like 2

I best get to cracking on my L2 application. Thanks for the kick in the butt flap area.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, KOtrooper said:

I best get to cracking on my L2 application. Thanks for the kick in the butt flap area.

Just a reminder to you and anyone else going for L2 -- there's a six month grace period on CRL changes, so you can apply under the old standard until January!

Just now, StudioCreations said:

Amazing find.  Thank you for letting us know of the grace period. 

Should vendors supply three T-greeblies for the next 6 months (2 rights, 1 left)?

You can start doing the 2 rights ASAP.   The circles facing front was only ever a Level 2 requirement.  So for basic it doesn't matter.  

Thanks for checking in, Jeff!

• 4 weeks later...

Studio Creations scout armorer, Superkrates, ponied up the money to acquire a vintage 1980s Tamiya 1/6th scale FXE1200 SuperGlide Model and it is in our hands now.  August is rather booked for both of us so we think September will see us adding resin copies of the #18 part to our Scout Kits.

Urethane Rubber greeblies can be available on request, but you'll have to email us and coordinate their creation. That is a "special order" request.

-Jeff

harleyFXE1200superglide_box_1200px.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

@StudioCreations that's so much for offering this as a part of your kit. This is a huge help to the scout community.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StudioCreations said:

Studio Creations scout armorer, Superkrates, ponied up the money to acquire a vintage 1980s Tamiya 1/6th scale FXE1200 SuperGlide Model and it is in our hands now.  August is rather booked for both of us so we think September will see us adding resin copies of the #18 part to our Scout Kits.

Urethane Rubber greeblies can be available on request, but you'll have to email us and coordinate their creation. That is a "special order" request.

-Jeff

Thanks for continuing to help out the Scout community and keep us moving forward. 

6 hours ago, StudioCreations said:

-Jeff

Amazing work as always Jeff!  We have always appreciated the way SC embraces change and works with us to make the best costumes possible!  

7 hours ago, StudioCreations said:

Definitely interested in two!